Saturday, September 18, 2010

Impressions of the Buddha

Impressions of the Tiantan Buddha Statue, Lantau Island, Hong Kong

by Anita Revel on Saturday, 18 September 2010 at 08:36

Looking at our feet, watching the asphalt drop away from under us, the murky river below, a lone fisherman on his boat under a rainbow umbrella, lush jungle, a patch of ferns, a smattering of shacks huddled under a mountain, soaring over a rough path and crystal clear waterfalls, up and over the first peak, the second, too scared to move from my seat in case I fall through the glass-bottomed cabin, and suddenly, there he is. Buddha. On the horizon, backlit by an azure blue sky - unusual for Hong Kong, I'm told. Stepping out of the cable car with some relief to be back on terra firma, braving the exit via the souvenir shop, head down through the tourist zone, onwards towards my main man.

There he is, above me, all 22m of him, bronzed and shining, calming and awesome at the same time. Only a couple of hundred steps to climb, or so it seems. Puff puff, pause, wipe the sweat from my brow, rally my strength, and just one more flight of 16 steps. Puff puff. Finally, we are there, taking respite in the shadow of our Buddha, walking around the base on wobbly knees, still wiping the sweat from my face, taking in the views, loving the calm between each of my puff puff breaths, feeling myself smile in the face of such divine love and brilliance. Ommmmmmm.
Share

No comments: